May 19, 2011

Speed Workout

Today my Runner's World Smart Coach called for a 6 mile speed work out.  1 mile warm-up, 4 X 1600 @ 10:02, then 1 mile cool down.  I have such a hard time gauging the speed that I run.  I think that I am doing great - I'll look down at my Garmin at I'm running a 12:00 minute mile or the opposite - I feel like I am plugging along - I'll look and I going 9:15.

So, I have been doing all my Speed and Tempo runs on the treadmill at the gym early in the morning.  This has been my Thursday routine for the past year.  I faithfully did all the workouts before the Rock N Roll Mardi Gras Marathon - I was sure that I would break 5:00.  Then got stomach cramps and made 2 porta potty stops during the last 6 miles.

So, now for Grandma's Marathon - I have done nearly every Speed and Tempo Run.  This morning felt realy good.  I can't select 10:02 - so I ran all the miles at 10:00.  My heart rate did get up into the high 160's periodically - but I burned 600 calories!!

This afternoon, will be a little swimming.  If I can get to the pool before the kids are out of school, I might be able to practice swimming in different lanes like the Triathlon will be (in 8 days).

No comments:

Post a Comment