June 30, 2012

Watermellon Festival 5K



I love running the local races.  Today, I ran a 5K race which is part of the Beauregard Watermelon Festival (Louisiana has a festival celebrating something every weekend of the year).  Last month, in another local 5K, I ran 27:03 - my goal for this race was 26:00.

I probably haven't trained enough for such a lofty goal.  But, I was going to try anyway. I have been doing speed work with Lindsay, my trainer, and doing my SmartCoach workouts.  The ultimate goal (for now) is to run the  Bloomington Women's Half Marathon under 2:00. 

The race started at 7:30am.  But in Louisiana, it can still be rather warm and humid.  It was probably 80 degrees and 80% humidity by the time the race started.  The is a loop course with several inclines and hills.  The heat and hills took its toll on me.  I also may have started out the first half mile way too fast.  My Garmin didn't quite catch up to me for about a half mile.  At first it said I was running at a 16:00 pace then all of a sudden it said 7:30.  For the rest of the race it acted normally.  But what do you expect from a Garmin Forunner 201 - I know that it is at least 8 years old.

Time according to Garmin: 0:27:46
Garmin Distance:  3.17
Garmin Pace:  8:45
Mile 1: 8:22
Mile 2: 8:49
Mile 3: 9:11
      .1:  1:24

My friend, Julie ran with me.  She is a faster runner than I am, but has only been running about once a week, so she thought that she would have trouble keeping up with me.  WRONG... I probably slowed her down.  I was struggling the last 2 miles and her little motivation syaings kept me going.  She kept me focused by saying, "make it to the fire truck", "run to the next corner", and "run to the top of the hill."  It was a tough race for me.  I know that I would have finished a lot slower if she hadn't been there.  Thanks Julie.

I did win the women's 55-59 age group.  One benefit of staying active as I get older.  Awards were only 1 deep since it was a small race.  There is usually someone faster than me in the local races.  She must have overslept this morning.

Me and Julie before the race

So, now the plan is to keep training for the Half Marathon in August.  There are several 5Ks in the fall and winter.  I will just have to keep my goal and work harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment