December 6, 2012

ANOTHER Catch Up Blog......

Time flies even when you aren't having fun.  10 weeks since the last time that I blogged.  Unfortunately, this is becoming a bad habit. I try to keep busy.  Keeping busy helps with depression, but then all of a sudden out of the blue something hits me hard and I just start crying.  I usually snap out of it quickly.  Life is still so hard without Steve.  I do find comfort every week reading Widows Speak Up!  There I have a network of women who really understand what it is like to loose their husband.


Jim from 50 after 40, met my daughter, Jennifer, at Team RWB at the Baton Rouge Half Marathon Expo.  He was kind enough to mention my blog in his.  That sort of puts pressure on me to keep mine up.  This post has been in draft form for a while, finally getting the pictures in. 


October 6, 2012 - Geaux Blue Triathlon, Lake Charles, LA

1st Triathlon ever held by McNeese University.  Overall, was very good especially for 1st timers.  Only had 1 or 2 people run the wrong route on the run. My friend Julie did her 2nd Triathlon and her twin sister Jennifer (15) won her age group.



October 18 - 21, 2012 - Army Ten Miler and trip to Philadelphia

The Army Ten Miler is one of my favorite races.  I love running in DC.  Plus the trip gives me an opportunity to visit something historical.  Jennifer and Brandy wanted to visit cupcake bakeries in Georgetown.  I went for a few - then had enough calories.  I headed over to Arlington National Cemetary to see the Women in Military Service Memorial.  We just happened to arrive when they were having the 15 year anniversary ceremony.  For any woman who has worn a military uniform, this has to be on your "must do" list.

I had originally had a goal of finishing the ATM  in 1:45, but my training just hadn't been what it needed to be.  So I thought what a good opportunity to run with my daughter and just run for fun and see the sights.  I had a good time running with Snow White.


 

I look like I am in pain - Jennifer and Brandy are happy
After running, we hit the Hooah Tents, but the Gumbo was all gone.  We showered then caught the Metro downtown and took Amtrak to Philadelphia for a short 2 day visit.  I love traveling by train.

Fran, Jennifer, and Rita (Steve's Mother)

October 27, 2012 - Steve "Hootie" Gibson Memorial Poker Run

My daughter Jennifer, and members of the CVMA organized a Memorial Poker Run in Steve's honor.  The poker run was an overwhelming success and raised nerly $8,000 for the Wounded Warrior Project and the Fort Polk Warrior Transition Unit.

Vanessa Price's painting of my husband took me by suprise.

Jennifer did a great job organizing the Poker Run.
We are wearing the T-shirt that she designed.
Thanks Mike for the kind words

Sign at the Infirmary, one of the stops of the poker run

November 5, 2012 - Philadelphia Eagles vs New Orleans Saints

One of the raffle items at the poker run were 3 box seat tickets behind the Philadelphia Eagle sidelines for the Monday Night football game between the Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints.  Of Course, since Steve was from Philadelphia, we have always been Eagles fans.  I bid on the tickets and WON!! This year has not been good.  This was a game where maybe the Eagles could turn there season around.  Well it was not to happen.  We did have a great time at the game, even if they did loose.



November 17, 2012 - CenLa Fall Festival Half Marathon

I was trying so hard for a PR.  I have been trying to get under 2:05 for the last 3 half marathons.  I keep missing the PR.  Something messes up my training.  Usually an injury but lately I just didn't feel like doing some of the training runs. 

My friend, Linsay, offered to run with me.  She is an awsome runner and so much faster than me.  So I think that I started out a little too fast, but felt good.  By the time I hit Miles 7 - 9 , I just couldn't keep the same pace.  I ended up running 2:06:20 - just need to work on 80 seconds.


Lindsay and me before the CenLa Half
Perfect weather  for a run

At Mile 9, I am slowing down, but Lindsay looks like she could run forever. 
Yes, she carried the flag the entire half marathon


December 1, 2012 - City of Lights 5k, Natchitoches, LA

Still trying to get a PR in the 5K.  This is the perfect course.  Along the Cane River in Natchitoches - completely flat.  We started out great and I felt fine until a little after the 2 mile point.  Had to slow down.  Julie was feeling better than me so took off.  My time was 27:28. 
Julie & me before the City of Light 5K
I grabbed a random stranger to take our picture
Besides having very lofty goals of PRing in the 5K and the Half Marathon within the next few months, both of my sons are expecting additions to their families.  Scott and his wife are expecting TWIN girls and Chris and his wife are expecting a boy.  Plenty to keep Grannie Frannie busy.  Plans are to blog a little more often.  As I tell Lindsay when she is adding weights to my routine, "We'll see."

No comments:

Post a Comment